Friday, October 16, 2015

Twittering Your Homework

While I teach college writing, I also can (often) blog where all the content can be accessed, I also asked them to follow the course on Twitter.
select the content to go along with it. In my Critical Understanding of Graphic Novels course, I not only introduced my students to a

Inspired by Chris Haynes and his guide to using Twitter in the classroom, I told them to jump in. After they posted a few Tweets, I decided to give them a homework assignment that would be due on Twitter over the weekend. While I did offer an alternative for students who didn't feel comfortable with Twitter, I did get some early responses. I asked them to find different modes of comics and show those examples in their tweets. The students have connected to this and have given me some really interesting examples. So far, using twitter in the classroom has been a very nice change. At least once a week, I let them use their phones (or computers) in class to post discussion questions and other elements. I also ask students to respond to at least one tweet a week.

In low stakes homework assignments, this is the perfect application to connect with students and create a public space for them to connect and define the content of the course. It also gives us a list of posts that we can now talk about when the homework is due.

My next twitter class move is going to be for students to tweet their thesis statements to me before they start writing their papers. I am fascinated to see if students can create a statement in 140 characters, and still make it work. And how will they work around the character limit.

Using social media in new ways allows us to move away from massive closed platforms that gate and hold back ideas and interconnectivity through the process of learning.


Connections: 
Chris Haynes

0 comments:

Post a Comment